Friday, March 9, 2007

A new milestone


Well, it is now into the wee hours of the night. Kenady has already gotten up and is now back down for the night, I was reading through Julie's blog and her sister in laws' and realized I needed to update my blog, there wasn't much to it! Here I am three hours later with not much to show but I sure had a lot of fun doing it! Thanks for all the great ideas.


Tomorrow morning I will take a picture of Sydney and post it because we hit a milestone today. I have to admit I am a wimpy mom when it comes to some things. I was AFRAID to get rid of her Binky, I came up with a million excuses to keep it but every time I saw her with it (it was restricted to bed use only) it would make me mad. Well finally today for the umpteenth time Sydney earned her crayons back and what did she do, wrote on Kenady's play gym. I was very FRUSTRATED. Obviously time-outs, taking the crayons away, talking too, politely suggesting, hair pulling, teeth gnashing, and naughty chairs were not working! I walked her to her room and shut the door. To my surprise, she HATED it (does it sound like I wasn't being very nice). I don't have a passive child you see, first she was knocking on the door, then she said sorry, when that didn't work she tried pounding and so on. I was feeling rather proud of myself for finding something that actually affected her. I saw her Binky lying on the floor (it should have been in her bed). So while I was feeling like I had a handle on things I decided I might as well get rid of the Binky too. I knew it wouldn't work to just throw it away. She would continue to ask and ask so I cut off the top of the nipple and put it back on the ground (I also knew if I cut it I wouldn't be able to give in and helplessly hand back over the binky).

When Sydney's two minutes were up I went back and talked to her, she gave me a hug, said sorry, we packed up the crowns, put them away for another month and she saw her binky! Oh the atrocity! She cried for about five minutes, begged for her dad and then moved finally moved on to something else.


I have to admit being proud didn't last too long. By the time nap time rolled around I was scared stiff. In fact we happened to be coming home from a play group so I took the long way home hoping she would fall asleep in the car. It didn't work so I continued to drive the neighborhood for another 20 minutes. Finally I gave up on the whole thing and didn't try to put her to be, I just had her rest in her room until her dad came home.


I thought I had her beat when bedtime rolled around (or her dad fooled). I took Kenady and Dallas has his regular Sydney schedule. Well Kenady drifted off to sleep way to quickly! Tag, it was my turn with Sydney. Between Dallas and I we probably put her back in her bed 25 different times, yes I know she is not afraid of us, nor spankings, nor hair pulls, nor time-outs or other more severe measures :). Finally I told her I would sing her one song. After I was through she said, "but mom, please just stay with me.". I said, "Sue, you are so tired, you can do this. Just close your eyes for a little while, you are such a big girl, we know you can do it. " of course then I went on to bribe her if she stayed in her bed she would get to put a new sticker on a chart and maybe even get some gum.....and guess what she didn't come out. I am sure tomorrow we will start the drama all over again but it did feel nice to finally get rid of the binky! If you are still reading thanks for tuning in to all my long winded rambling!


I do want to post two more things. One of Sydney's favorite things to do, is dance. We took her to a rollerskating/dancing rink and she was in Heaven the whole time. She danced and skated (with our help) her little heart out! She has so much excitement for everything! Here we are dancing.






and I feel proud, proud, proud. After almost five months of procrastination I finally got my thank you cards out. If I only would have been as smart as Julie and decided to do photos earlier. Here is the picture of Kenady that I put on the thank you cards. So some of you, they are on there way! Kinda like an announcement too, can you do that three months late?!

6 comments:

Julie said...

Jaymi, How cute!!! Kenady is getting so big and cute.. and Sydney too! Proud of you for sticking to your guns, you'll have to walk me through it when I get to that stage in life. Also, did you make that bow.. I want one!

Jamielynn said...

Jaymi..thats got to be hard with her binki...keep me posted on how she is doing. I loved this blog, because I could just picture the whole thing. Your a good mom!!

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

Getting rid of the binky, no fun! The way you talk about Sydney, reminds me so much of Kasidee, totally dramatic:)! We're in for it come teenage years!

Mark, Monette, Coytt and Dalon said...

Well I can't begin to tell you how thankful I am that Coytt gave up his binky on his own, he just stopped using it oneday when he was like 9 or 10 months old, so that is one fight I never had to have. He also gave up the bottle pretty easy which I was scared to death to do, but on his 13 month check up we decided no more bottle so we put them away and just never brought them back and he hasn't seemed to mind. Your little girls are soooo cute. Can't wait to see you guys more often!

Rachel said...

you have inspired me! I am vowing this week to take away my sons pacifier! He calls it his Paa. He will be 3 in august and it has been way too long. I must say it is more for me than him. It is nice when he starts screaming at church or the store or whatever to plop it in his mouth. I have known I need to get rid of it so thanks for the inspiration! Rachel